Announcing Fedora Core 6 Test 2 (5.91)

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Aug 7 14:48:51 UTC 2006

On Monday 07 August 2006 09:30, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 10:05 -0400, Jay Lee wrote:
> > Jesse Keating wrote:
> > > * Ability to install from additional yum repositories during anaconda
> > > installations and kickstarts.
> >
> > Does this mean I'll be able to simply point Anaconda to an updates
> > repository and immediately install the very latest updates without ever
> > having installed the old rpms?
>
> Yep -- although for FC6 final, it'll require knowing and inputting the
> repository info manually[1].  In the future, I want to look into ways of
> pulling this sort of information and having a pre-populated list of
> things such as updates and extras to be able to just select.

as a thought how hard would it be to make It work for say a extras DVD?  say
just before fc6 release  we snapshot extras, run createrepo on it and make a
dvd iso,  or even cd isos  can we do that?  I guess for cds  you would have
to do something similar to debian  and insert each cd/dvd at the start so
that the repo metadata  can be read.  but then the install would offer all
those packages.  dvd would be simpler  you dont need to worry about
dependency order so much

It could  be a stepping stone  to having a web script for instance  that you
could create your own iso  with what you want on it.

but right now  im thinking it would be nice to make an extras iso.  everyso
often  i have to do an install in a location that has crappy internet
connection.  and  it would be much simpler to do from a local media.  some
parts of the world  it will really help

Dennis