some closure on the xorg updates issue

John Mahowald jpmahowald at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 14:58:15 UTC 2006

On 8/11/06, Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip at kanarip.com> wrote:
> Rahul wrote:
> > Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> >> Isn't this one of the beautiful things of RPM, which can have
> >> Conflicts set so user's systems will not be broken be an automatic
> >> (unattended?), or manual yum update? Do we not expect Fedora users to
> >> be savvy enough to get the dependency error, Google around a bit, and
> >> yum --exclude=xorg update?
> >
> > Thats a very poor user experience.
> >
> > Rahul
> >
> I'm sorry, but when translated, this either sounds offensive in means
> you find my opinion a very poor user experience, or it means user's that
> would encounter the above would experience it as poorly...
>
> Kind regards,
>
> -kanarip

In my opinion users should not be required to do this, which is what I
think a poor user experience means: difficult. Clicking pup from the
panel and letting it do the updates automatically is better than
having to search for some dependency work arounds to type into yum.

I want updates to be as easy as possible, for me and all users.

John