some closure on the xorg updates issue

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Fri Aug 11 15:14:58 UTC 2006

Rahul wrote:
> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> It's too bad yum isn't able to also remove packages from the
>> updates-to-be-applied list once it appears dependencies concerning
>> such a package are unresolvable.
>>
>> Wouldn't you agree such feature in yum may solve the issue at hand here?
>>

> No. It would be a bad feature to ignore unresolvable updates in
> general since they might very well be critical security features. So
> the users need to be aware of conflicts and make the choices manually
> if they want to ignore any updates. Exposing a method to do so in
> tools like Pup would be a good idea however and there are already
> feature requests to do the same.
>
> Rahul

Personally, I'd rather have yum disregard the package that causes the
dependency error and update the rest (which in this particular case may
as well contain hundreds of critical updates) then the update process to
fail. Disregarding the package when updating however is not the same as
the amount of noise yum wants to make about the disregarded package...

Kind regards,

-kanarip

--
Jeroen van Meeuwen, LPIC-1, MCP