Wither Bling?

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Fri Aug 11 15:35:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-11 at 07:50 -0700, Shahms King wrote:

> Thomas J. Baker wrote:
> >> Yes, that's the plan going forward.
> >>
> >> Bill
> >>

> > So when you say going forward, do you mean for the fc6 time frame, or is
> > the composite manager going to be dropped from metacity?
> >
> > Compiz has spectacular bling but lacks certain basic window manager
> > features (like toggleable vertical and horizontal maximize) that I had
> > in sawfish, lost in metacity for a while but just got back in fc5, and
> > now will lose again in compiz. Metacity has good bling and solid window
> > manager functions (and a killer close window animation.)
>
> This is simply not true.  Both metacity and compiz have toggleable
> horizontal and vertical maximize, you just have to set the keybindings.
>  Metacity has had it since before FC5, although I'm not sure exactly

Sure it may have been fc4 but that was still a long time (years) without
it.

> when.  Enabling it in compiz requires manually setting a gconf entry to
> the desired keybinding, but it is definitely there. Set the keys:
>
> /apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/toggle_window_maximized_key
> /apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/toggle_window_maximized_vertically_key
> /apps/compiz/general/allscreens/options/toggle_window_maximized_horizontally_key

That's excellent news. I know early versions of compiz didn't have this.
(At least the ubuntu xgl builds from quinnstorm.)

So the next question becomes, is the keyboard shortcuts pref going to
propagate settings to both compiz and metacity now? (It may already but
I haven't been able to run compiz long enough to know. I actually had to
remove compiz from my system because everytime I tried to disable
desktop effects, it locked up my machine. The only way to get back to
metacity was to remove compiz. I need to debug that more now that I know
it's the one true path.)

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |