Attention kernel module project packagers!

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Aug 15 15:17:05 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 04:12:06PM +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> David Woodhouse schrieb:
> >On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 09:50 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> >>Given that we don't want it on Core or Extras, I'm pretty happy to
> >>let random 3rd party packager do whatever they want for packaging
> >>modules.  I'm not interested in dictating how they should handle
> >>this ugly hack.
> >>
> >>Your example about ntfs is not usable w/out the userland
> >>(ntfsprogs), which nobody wants to touch due to legal reasons, and
> >>would be obsoleted by FUSE anyway where the most recent ntfs
> >>support is done entirely in userspace.
> >>
> >>There are many more things the packaging committee can spend time
> >>worrying about.  Packaging of kernel modules isn't one of them
> >>IMHO.
> >
> >Yeah, that's a fair point. However, it would be useful if those who
> >_do_ care about kernel module packages would come to an agreement
> >about how it should be done, and that can be documented somewhere
> >central to Fedora -- like on the Fedora wiki.
> >
> >We can modify our kernel RPM and yum if appropriate in order to
> >support that agreed method.
>
> That already happend -- FESCo worked out and agreed on a propsoal last
> winter http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/KernelModules
>
> It's working fine.

No, it's not, proven in debates on fedora-packaging and here

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/AxelThimm/kmdls

The proposal you worked out is leading to broken rpm and yum
support. That's not working fine.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net