[DEP-BLOAT] 'initscripts' require lot of low-level stuff

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Aug 21 14:28:14 UTC 2006

mattdm at mattdm.org (Matthew Miller) writes:

>> * split 'initscripts' into the following subpackages:
>>   - core with '/etc/rc.d/init.d/functions', '/sbin/service'; this is
>>     required by daemons
>>   - -startup with the currently shipped services (e.g. halt, killall),
>>     the rc.* scripts
>>   - -net with network related part
>
> Is the case where the network isn't needed really enough of a concern to
> split this package?

The 'core' vs. '-startup' case is more important. But it can not hurt to
split the network functionality and has some advantages:

* network stuff is an own, large functionality group within 'initscripts'
* its API (/sbin/ifup) might be needed in situations where -startup is
  not installed (see below)
* having it modularized, allows to replace it with a specialized version
  (e.g. one which is using 'iproute' instead of 'ifconfig' command set)

> And I'm having a hard time envisioning a case where "-startup" wouldn't
> be needed....

And I'm having a hard time envisioning a case where an ftp server
requires the 'udev' package or a 'mingetty' terminal ;)

Examples for your cases are:

* chroot environments
* other init methods (minit, initng)

Enrico