[DEP-BLOAT] what the hell is Kerberos?

Enrico Scholz enrico.scholz at informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Mon Aug 21 17:37:45 UTC 2006

Lam at Lam.pl (Leszek Matok) writes:

> $ rpm -qi krb5-libs
> I don't need it (never heard of it, actually), so I don't need to
> install it (according to the description), hooray, let's remove it (it's
> 1,2 MiB big!).

I do not think that this dependency can be removed completely. As you
wrote already, it will require developing of new features (dynamic

By splitting the krb5-libs you might save some parts of the 1.2MB.
E.g. the libkadm5* libs and perhaps the krb4 part might be moved into
separate packages. But compared with e.g. 'python' or 'perl' packages,
the save 500kB might be just peanuts...

Enrico