Is it possible to dynamize "requires" at RPM build time?

Arjan van de Ven arjan at fenrus.demon.nl
Wed Aug 23 14:59:33 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 09:24 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 09:32:58PM -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Kai Engert wrote:
> > > Is it possible by some SPEC logic, to make a "Requires:" entry dynamic?
> > Yes, use something like:
> > BuildRequires: foo-devel
> > %global foo_ver %(foo_bin --version)
>
> Or perhaps using %( rpm -q --qf '%%{version}' foo ).
>
> (Um, I think that works to escape the % -- didn't test.)

ok not to spoil the party but.. what should be the semantics of this?
Verify this at rpm -i time only ?
What if the condition changes later on while the rpm is installed and
now the Requires: (or worse, the Conflicts: ) changes so that the
installed rpm set is a noncoherent/non-closed (or whatever you want to
call that) set ?
Do you want this for Provides: too? And how does that deal with the
second question ?

I can see good reasons to not want to go down this antnest of issues ;)