Compiz seems to hurt my metacity.

Naoki naoki at valuecommerce.com
Thu Aug 24 07:25:14 UTC 2006

Tom London wrote:
> On 8/23/06, Naoki <naoki at valuecommerce.com> wrote:
>> Probably a stupid problem and not a bug but..
>>
>> Latest rawhide :
>>
>> $ rpm -q compiz metacity
>> compiz-0.0.13-0.17.20060817git.fc6
>> metacity-2.15.34-1.fc6
>>
>> When I try : System-->Prefs-->More Prefs-->Desktop Effects
>>
>> It seems to remove all window management, I get all the applications
>> from my eight workspaces on the one screen, I can no longer switch
>> between workspaces (which has been reported before so I understand this
>> issue) and the applications no longer have borders and are unable to be
>> manipulated.
>>
>> Anybody else seen this or have I a bodgy setup?
>>

> See similar stuff.
>
> Try disabling and then reenabling desktop-effects. That 'fixed it' for
> me (at least, up to the current state of 'working').
>
> tom
>
> [The desktop-effects prefs app doesn't change the label of the button
> to 'disable', but it seems to do that.]

Unfortunately this didn't help.  I still lose window management and
can't switch between apps, can't switch focus nor workspaces.

When I "Enable Desktop Effects", is there a log somewhere that might
explain why it's failing ?

When I try it I do end up with the "desktop-effects" process but no
compiz processes, anything I should be checking for there?