possible yast porting? was: slashdot on fedora-marketing-list

Brian Pepple bpepple at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 30 21:45:20 UTC 2006

> On Wednesday 30 August 2006 17:09, Steve Barnhart wrote:
> > Forwarded to the more "technical" list following discussion.
> >
> > > Ya I really am saddened that no other distros have taken advantage of
> > > YaST being open source. Everyone keeps wasting resources and
> > > rebuilding when YaST is a good alternative and includes an ncurses gui
> > > too. I really like YaST and is probably the reason I keep having a
> > > hard time deciding between Fedora and openSUSE and keeping both of
> > > them on my HD. Porting YaST should be way simpler for Fedora as it is
> > > already RPM based. So many modules are there that rebuilding something
> > > else just seems like a waste of time.
>
> Please god no...  YAST is one of the worst systems out there.  linuxconf is
> pretty close too.

Agreed.  The last time I used it, admittedly a few years back, it was a
cluttered mess to use.  Also, last I heard it didn't have a gtk+
frontend yet (though I remember reading something about a summer of code
project for it).

/B
--
Brian Pepple <bpepple at fedoraproject.org>

BD5E 6F9E 8688 E668 8F5B  CBDE 326A E936 810C C15E