Eclipse on Linux Distributions eclipse.org project approved

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 3 00:29:22 UTC 2006

Stefan Held wrote:
> http://www.sun.com/software/communitysource/j2se/java2/download.xml
>

> You only need this aggrement to build your own java version from the
> source and distribute it. Exactly like you need it for Firefox.

This is not a Free software license which is a requirement for inclusion
in Fedora. See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives and
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Legal. Just a week or
so back I attended a Sun presentation on open source Java where they
admitted to not having complete source code under a Free software
license since portions of code is licensed by Sun from other vendors.
Like I said the tentative timeline to remove that encumbrances is March
2007.

> This license was nessesary because M$ tried to sell Java as theire own
> creation (M$ JVM). Please do not cry out FUD.

You misunderstood. Major portions of Sun Java is under a GPL+classpath
exception license currently. See https://openjdk.dev.java.net/
However there are portions of it still not available a Free software
license due to it being licensed from other vendors.

> http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/downloads/java.shtml
>

> Nice to see that other projects managed this .....

Fedora Project is not willing to negotiate agreements to include
proprietary software unlike the FreeBSD foundation.

> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 30. Nov 01:43 /etc/alternatives/java
> -> /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0-sun/bin/java
> I am not exactly sure how such answers help .......

If you already knew about alternatives, thats the extend of support we
can currently provide for other JVM's.

Rahul