CPU Frequency Scaling

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Mon Dec 4 18:52:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 12:31:19PM -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> gconftool-2 already exists you can do this already; just write a small
> shell script, gpm-set-governor or whatever, and it'll already work. I
> can't speak for Richard but if we do this thing of making g-p-m run in
> the unusual cases when no-one is logged in, I'm pretty damn sure he

I think calling this an "unusual case" is the root cause of the difference
in viewpoints here.

> gconf or whatever. The price you pay? Maybe you'll have to use dedicated
> command line tools instead of editing a file in /etc. Understand that
> we, the developers of these bits, are actually trying to reach out and
> make it easier for system administrators like yourself. Both sides gotta
> give a little.

I *do* appreciate your development work on this. I just want to help you
understand an important segment of the "we" you mentioned before. This way
of doing things isn't merely old-fashioned -- it's got concrete advantages
which continue to be important to Linux as it moves forward.

I don't mind using dedicated command line tools to accomplish tasks -- I'm
fine with using chkconfig to manipulate runlevels, for example -- but the
problem with adding a bunch more of these sorts of thing is that each one
has its own new interface to learn (and relearn if you only do it
infrequently). A key=value config file, on the other hand, can be understood
immediately (particularly with decent comments).

And, you can fix it with any old rescue environment -- no need for fancy
tools. In the real world, that's *huge*.