putting fedora on a (memory) diet... some suggestions for the kernel config

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Wed Dec 13 15:59:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 10:43 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-12-13 at 11:56 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > Another one is __log_buf; this is currently 128Kb. Arguably it's
> > important for debugging to get 128Kb of dmesg info, but I wonder if 64Kb
> > would be enough as well, it's another easy save by setting
> > CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT to 16.
>
> I don't know that this is really a big enough win to be worthwhile...
> especially as the 128kb of dmesg has been handy to me in the past given
> the amount of verbosity from some of the kernel these days.

Seconded. It's not enough of a saving /and/ reduces the value of having
the ringbuffer in the first place if data you want is never there.
There's a lot of noise to deal with - arguably that could be reduced,
but that's not something to be solved in Fedora directly.

Personally, I think kernel config is one of the last places to cleanup
after regular apps are taken care of.

Jon.