Updates dependency/conflict checking

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Fri Dec 15 19:06:37 UTC 2006

Pekka Savola wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With FC6 and updates-testing, I've gotten the following error for almost
> a week now:
>
> Transaction Check Error:   file /usr/bin/pdftoppm from install of
> poppler-utils-0.5.4-3.fc6 conflicts with file from package
> xpdf-utils-3.01-26.fc6
>   file /usr/share/man/man1/pdftoppm.1.gz from install of
> poppler-utils-0.5.4-3.fc6 conflicts with file from package
> xpdf-utils-3.01-26.fc6
>
> Looking at CVS, this appears to have been fixed 5 hours ago [1], but the
> more generic question remains:
>
> This isn't the first time this has happened.  Shouldn't there be a tool
> (or automatic check) with updates system that would check for conflicts
> across all the packages in "official" Fedora repositories?

The current updates system has the ability to check dependency closure,
but it isn't integrated nicely with the process (it requires human
intervention).

The new updates system that I am working on will check closure (among
other things) automatically before anything is pushed out.

	http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/UpdatesSystem

luke