LVM not fit for default

Lamont Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Mon Dec 25 05:24:00 UTC 2006

On Sunday 24 December 2006 04:22am, Joachim Frieben wrote:
> > First of all I have experienced the same "no help hell" with lvm when
> > it crashes. (not if, when) I had FC3 installed on my Compaq R3000
> > Series notebook, default settings, except for package options. Ran
> > that for about three weeks. I reinstall testing out new distros quite
> > a lot, so I don't worry about backing up the entire system, and
> > something happened with the system, the kernel panicked  when it
> > couldn't find a root FS. Same problem as andy.
> >
> > Basically All I'm trying to say is that yes it fails sometime, no it
> > is a cool thing to have, but either give us some tools on default
> > install/rescue disc to combat the issue, or take it out unless the
> > system detects a RAID array.
> >
> > Thanks guys,
> >
> > Chris
>
> Come on, "FC3" got released *three*years* ago,

FC1 was released in November of 2003, just after RHEL3 (October 2003).  FC3
was released in November 2004.  Last I checked 2006 - 2004 = 2 years ago.

> so it's not appropriate to
> make an argument out of this for discussing today's maturity of "LVM". Btw,
> I have been using "LVM" exclusively for 3 years now [exact, since I first
> installed "FC3"], and I have never ever had any trouble with it at all.
> Maybe you encountered a hardware problem?

Likely in my mind.

BTW, I've been using LVM on all my notebooks and workstations since FC1/RHEL3
and have been using it on all my servers for nearly 7 years.

I've never encountered a problem that couldn't be fixed with the LVM commands
other than outright hardware (i.e. storage) failure.
--
Lamont Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor

NOTE:  All messages from this email address should be digitally signed with my
       0xDC0DD409 GPG key. It is available on the pgp.mit.edu keyserver as
       well as other keyservers that sync with MIT's.