Question about Fedora Extras 5

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Thu Feb 2 11:28:24 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote :

> >>It expect that it requires a Fedora Extras "release" and a good amount
> >>of coordination to make this happen. I dont think it is merely a matter
> >>of lumping together a set of packages into a ISO image
> >>

> >Well, I don't see an Extras "release" as a requirement, as I don't
> >"release" freshrpms.net either. Just clearly document a set of packages,
> >create the the meta stuff you needs (.xml, scripts), and you can create a
> >very useful snapshot at any given time.
> >

> So is this process documented?  Can it be automated so a Extras ISO
> image is created every few weeks or so for example?. During the Fedora
> development process many of the packages in Extras seem to remain broken
> for a longer time than the ones in core which led to the impression for
> me that a release would be required to ensure that the packages work as
> expected.

In this particular case, just look at the current Extras as Rawhide, and
an eventual frozen set of packages as a Fedora Core release. Would seem
pretty trivial to me to freeze a set of Extras packages, test release it
as CD/DVD a few times, fixing all the major bugs and dependency problems
found (in both Extras and this frozen set), then releasing a final media.
The ongoing parallel life of Extras continues the whole time, might even
benefit from the extra testing, and people with no or slow Internet
connections can then have an easier way of installing Extras packages at
one point.

This is what I did for the freshrpms CD I made. As an example, the extra
testing that came from making the CD uncovered a few bugs, like the
summary line of my ipw2x00-firmware packages that wasn't UTF-8 encoded,
thus didn't show up properly.

Matthias

Fedora Core release 4 (Stentz) - Linux kernel 2.6.14-1.1656_FC4
Load : 0.19 0.20 0.26