Proposed and major updates policy

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Sat Feb 4 20:18:54 UTC 2006

On Saturday 04 February 2006 01:11pm, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Lamont R. Peterson wrote:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >>I second that.
> >>The lack of FC package update policy is a real pain in the back side.
> >>The KDE 3.5.x release backlash was just an example of why such a policy
> >>must be set.
> >>
> >>Might I further suggest that a message will be sent to
> >>fedora-testing/fedora-users once a package enters update-testing?
> >>At least in my case, when I see such a message in fedora-testers
> >>(usually kernel/udev/openoffice) I do my best to test it and report
> >>back. I assume that posting this info in fedora-users will encourage
> >>others to do the same.
> >
> > Third.
> >
> > Also, I would suggest a new mailing list, fedora-testing-announce, be
> > created. Some of us do not follow Fedora Testing or Fedora Users lists
> > because there's just too much traffic.  I have a hard enough time keeping
> > up with the Fedora Developer list in addition to the other lists.  Having
> > such testing package availability announcements would make it much easier
> > for me to pick up testing packages and try them out.
> >
> > Thanks to all package maintainers for all the hard work on updating
> > packages.
>
> IMHO, testing announce messages should just go directly to
> fedora-test-list.  That way it is guaranteed all "testers"
> get the email.  My definition of a tester being someone who
> is subscribed to the fedora-test-list of course. ;)

OK.  I can see that.

> I don't have the stats, but I would guess that if they were
> separate lists, less people would be on the announce list than
> on the test list, and there's already a deficit of people using
> updates-testing.  To increase that, announcements should hit
> as many people as possible.  Perhaps posting them to redhat-list,
> and fedora-list too. ;)   Ok, maybe that's too much..  :)

Well, the reason I'm not subscribed to fedora-test-list is that there is way
too much going on there leading up to test1 and going through until release
for each release.  If fedora-updates-testing-list & fedora-test-list (for
testX releases) were separate, that might help get more people on boeard for
update testing.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor