CD/DVD Burning

Sun Feb 5 01:43:06 UTC 2006

I hate to bring it up after the mega thread on LKML, but I have some
problems with CD burning.

First of all what is the Fedora Core political correct program to burn
CD/DVD under gnome ? I have been using k3b, but that's an evil KDE
program ;-)

Than when I try to re-burn an full CD-RW it gets automatically mounted,
but the desktop context menu only has a "eject" entry, which is of no
use, I need and "unmount" entry.

Of course I wouldn't need that unmount entry when k3b would unmount the
drive when I use the "unmount" menu entry that k3b offers, but that
doesn't seem to do a thing.  So i have to unmount by hand in a terminal
window.

Than the real trouble starts, I get interrupt lost messages, on a drive
that used to work before. I already tried the acpi=noirq option without
success. When trying the erase the disk, and burn and pretty much
everything else that access the drive, i get the following errors;

Feb  5 01:25:49 xpc kernel: ide-cd: cmd 0x3 timed out
Feb  5 01:25:49 xpc kernel: hda: lost interrupt
Feb  5 01:25:49 xpc kernel: hda: request sense failure: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Feb  5 01:25:49 xpc kernel: hda: request sense failure: error=0x40 { LastFailedSense=0x04 }
Feb  5 01:26:49 xpc kernel: hda: lost interrupt
Feb  5 01:27:51 xpc kernel: hda: lost interrupt
Feb  5 01:28:53 xpc kernel: hda: lost interrupt
Feb  5 01:29:55 xpc kernel: hda: lost interrupt
Feb  5 01:30:57 xpc kernel: hda: lost interrupt

The bad thing, is after this happens the machine pretty much has to be
rebooted cause every program that now tries to access /dev/hda (for
example a yum update kernel) hangs for ever in D-state.

So is this one of the "bad luck, you bought wrong hardware again"
cases ? I have seen reports like this that go back many years, and the
keep coming bad, which sounds to me that there is no real solution.

- Erwin

PS: This is all with today's rawhide.