CD/DVD Burning

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sun Feb 5 11:43:21 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-05 at 08:39 +0100, Rudi Chiarito wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 02:21:09AM -0500, Dimi Paun wrote:
> > I tried to do the same, but every time I burned ISOs from nautilus,
> > the result was corrupted (I only tried to burn the FC{34} ISOs,
> > and then I checked them with anaconda's built-in tester). Of course,
> > burning them with k3b (same box, same images, CDs from same batch)
> > resulted in working CDs...
> >
> > Did anyone encounter the same behavior?
>
> I don't know if this is the same problem, but... last month I used
> Nautilus on my new FC4 laptop to burn a CD with a few pictures on them.
> I quickly checked the contents of the disc after burning it and it
> seemed fine. Days later, my brother tells me that the last few pictures
> had problems. He could see their names in the directory, but neither a
> PC nor a Mac could read the actual files. Of course I had tested only a
> random sample of the first pictures.
>
> That was the only CD I needed to burn in the past couple of years (I
> use the network otherwise), so I didn't think twice about it and blamed
> it on the media. A CD-R is so cheap these days that I just can't
> convince myself to trust it. Now I am having second thoughts; maybe it
> was nautilus (or the kernel) that messed up the final 4-5 MB of data.
> Ignoring the ISO checksum, can you actually compare the contents of the
> CD and its loop-mounted ISO image? You could use diff -qr to find out
> which files are to blame. cmp can tell you the offsets inside the files
> where the differences lie.

I've had similar problems.  In my case, FC4 thinks my SATA DVD/CD burner
is a ATA devices (sees it as hdc, not sdc) and when you burn too fast
the drive can't keep up and does this.

I've bugzilla'd this, but it's really and issue of the kernel not
detecting my hardware properly and it's being resolved slowly.

R.
 It's much better on my side"