Request for testers: Video hardware autodetection

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Mon Feb 6 23:25:23 UTC 2006

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>> Mike A. Harris wrote:
>>
>>> The latest xorg-x11-drv-* driver packages contain videoaliases
>>> files for kudzu et al. to use for video card autodetection and
>>> driver mapping.
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> If you have a video card which is assigned the "vesa" driver
>>> from the above test, then it is either not supported by the
>>> drivers, or we're missing a PCI ID to driver mapping for that
>>> card/chip.  To determine if it is supported by the driver,
>>> hand edit the xorg.conf and replace the vesa driver with the
>>> native X driver for the particular vendor.  ie: "nv" for
>>> Nvidia, "ati" for ATI, etc., and test to see if X starts up.
>>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> 2/6/06 rawhide ati driver xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.5.7.3-3 still detects
>> radeon 9200 AGP as vesa.  BZ 180001 updated.
>
> This is an odd situation, as it appears as if the videoalias files
> are being ignored by kudzu.  The radeon.xinf does contain the entries
> for the Radeon 9200, so it should get detected.  Are you running
> a fully updated system, including the latest kudzu,
> system-config-display, rhpl, rhplx, pyxf86config, all xorg packages,
> kernel, etc.?
>
> If one uses an old (FC4 era, or early FC5 rawhide) set of any of these
> packages, that would explain it.
>
> To make matters more confusing, other people are claiming the
> autodetection does work properly now.  So I'd like to ask everyone
> to make absolutely sure their entire system is completely updated
> to current rawhide, and not just xorg packages.  Also, systems
> running FC4 with some parts of rawhide will totally not work right
> as far as autodetection goes, but that is expected.
> situation exist
> If everyone is updated however, and the problem remains only for
> some people, then we'll have to investigate why that's happening,
> but it would sure be a strange situation. ;)
>
> Thanks for the update!

what is rhplx?

reran "yum update" and got no updates.  Went to another similar system
that has a clean install of FC5T2 and yum updated daily (and verified
again) and same vesa driver created in xorg.conf.  This system has a
radeon 9200 AGP AND a radeon 9200 SE PCI.

For the original system (which is, BTW, a FC3 install, updated almost
daily from rawhide):

[root at P4C800ED ~]# rpm -qa kudzu system-config-display rhpl rhplx
pyxf86config kernel-smp xorg* | sort
kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.1878_FC5
kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.1881_FC5
kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.1884_FC5
kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.1895_FC5
kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.1898_FC5
kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.1907_FC5
kernel-smp-2.6.15-1.1909_FC5
kudzu-1.2.24-1
pyxf86config-0.3.22-1
rhpl-0.181-1
system-config-display-1.0.36-1
xorg-x11-apps-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-drivers-0.99.2-4
xorg-x11-drv-acecad-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-aiptek-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-apm-1.0.1.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-ark-0.5.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-ati-6.5.7.3-3
xorg-x11-drv-calcomp-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-chips-1.0.1.3-1
xorg-x11-drv-cirrus-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-citron-2.1.1.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-cyrix-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-digitaledge-1.0.1.3-1
xorg-x11-drv-dmc-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-dummy-0.1.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-dynapro-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-elo2300-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-elographics-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-evdev-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-fbdev-0.1.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-fpit-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-glint-1.0.1.3-1
xorg-x11-drv-hyperpen-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-i128-1.1.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-i740-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-i810-1.4.1.3-3
xorg-x11-drv-jamstudio-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-joystick-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-keyboard-1.0.1.3-1
xorg-x11-drv-magellan-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-magictouch-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-mga-1.2.1.3-1
xorg-x11-drv-microtouch-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-mouse-1.0.3.1-1
xorg-x11-drv-mutouch-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-neomagic-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-nsc-2.7.6.5-2
xorg-x11-drv-nv-1.0.1.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-palmax-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-penmount-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-rendition-4.0.1.3-1
xorg-x11-drv-s3-0.3.5.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-s3virge-1.8.6.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-savage-2.0.2.3-1
xorg-x11-drv-siliconmotion-1.3.1.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-sis-0.8.1.3-1
xorg-x11-drv-sisusb-0.7.1.3-1
xorg-x11-drv-spaceorb-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-summa-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-tdfx-1.1.1.3-1
xorg-x11-drv-trident-1.0.1.2-1
xorg-x11-drv-tseng-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-ur98-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-vesa-1.0.1.3-1
xorg-x11-drv-vga-4.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-via-0.1.33.2-1
xorg-x11-drv-vmware-10.11.1.3-1
xorg-x11-drv-void-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-drv-voodoo-1.0.0.5-1
xorg-x11-filesystem-0.99.2-3
xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi-7.0-1
xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi-7.0-1
xorg-x11-fonts-base-7.0-1
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi-7.0-1
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi-7.0-1
xorg-x11-fonts-misc-7.0-1
xorg-x11-fonts-Type1-7.0-1
xorg-x11-font-utils-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-proto-devel-7.0-1
xorg-x11-resutils-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-server-utils-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-server-Xnest-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-twm-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-utils-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-xauth-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-xdm-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-xfs-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-xfwp-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-xinit-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-xkbdata-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-xkb-utils-1.0.1-1
xorg-x11-xsm-1.0.1-1
[root at P4C800ED ~]# rpm -q rhplx package rhplx is not installed
[root at P4C800ED ~]# yum install rhplx
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Parsing package install arguments
No Match for argument: rhplx
Nothing to do
[root at P4C800ED ~]#

--
Regards,

Old Fart
(my reply-to address is "munged" to defeat spambots)