rawhide report: 20060207 changes

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Tue Feb 7 12:51:06 UTC 2006

Le Mar 7 février 2006 13:22, Mike A. Harris a écrit :
> Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>> On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 03:34 -0500, Build System wrote:
>>
>>>New package gnome-python2-desktop
>>

>>>autoconf-2.59-6
>>>---------------
>>>* Mon Feb 06 2006 Karsten Hopp <karsten at redhat.de> 2.59-6
>>>- check for Xlib.h instead of Intrinsic.h to find X11 headers
>>>  (#176379)
>>

>> Not necessarily a good idea, because this renders FC generated configure
>> scripts unnecessarily incompatible to FSF autoconf generated ones.
>>
>> Furthermore, the whole idea of checking for "X11 headers" is arguable,
>> because the concept of common directories for "X11-includes/libraries"
>> doesn't apply anymore with modular X anymore. Instead, we now have a
>> "set of X11 devel packages", which just "happen to be installed to a
>> common prefix".
>>
>> I would eagerly plea to revert this change.
>
> I'd go one step further, and consider the change to be a bug. All
> of the X libraries install pkgconfig *.pc files in X11R7.0 as a
> standard.  Various other things like the SDK, font utils, etc.
> also install pkgconfig files.
>
> All packages in the distribution which need to know where the X
> headers are installed, or need to know anything that is supplied
> via the pkgconfig files, should use pkg-config to find it.

Also it seems where papering over autoconf bugs.
autoconf used to test for one header to find a monolithic X system.
Changing the BuildRequires to make the test succeed does not mean the
package is fixed, since autoconf is now detecting one part of X, and not
the full sheebang it expects.

--
Nicolas Mailhot