Fedora Core 5 Test 3 Slip

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Feb 7 13:52:49 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 16:05 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> usage internally by individuals, and our next generation buildsystem
> is aparently based on mock/plague.  What more exactly are you looking

Technically just mock.  There are some specific architectural
differences, not to mention different target audiences, for the nextgen
internal stuff versus plague.  For example, plague is meant to be
distributed so that the builders and server don't have to be run by the
same organization.  This means that RPMs and SRPMs are transferred with
HTTP, because you can't rely on fast local shared storage.  In a
centralized buildsystem model, that's just nuts because you'll almost
always have fast centralized storage.  The user model is also quite
simplistic, while in an enterprise you'd usually hook this stuff up to a
directory or other authentication means.

Plague isn't meant as an enterprise build system, though it could be
expanded to fill that role.  If it did, it would end up like Bugzilla;
way to complicated to install over a weekend, and completely in need of
a babysitter 6 out of 7 nights a week.

Dan