rawhide report: 20060207 changes

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Tue Feb 7 17:41:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-07 at 07:22 -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> If a package wishes to retain build time compatibility with
> X11R6 et al. it could use fallbacks if the pkg-config files
> aren't present, however from here on out, using pkgconfig
> is the very highly recommended way to detect the X libraries
> and other bits and pieces.

Where should this be implemented?  Should AC_PATH_X/XTRA be changed to
attempt to use pkgconfig as a first choice and then use AC_PATH_X if it
isn't found?  (I don't know how autoconf deals with dependencies on
optional m4 macros but for now I'm supposing this is possible)

Or does every package using AC_PATH_X need to create the logic for using
pkg-config with optional fallbacks to X11R6 behavior and then try to
push those changes upstream (using autoconf/autoconf-patches until the
changes are accepted and released.)

-Toshio