[Fwd: Re: rawhide report: 20060207 changes]

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Wed Feb 8 10:32:17 UTC 2006

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> Every time I post to the fedora lists lately, I am getting an
> autoresponder antispam message back from one of the list members:
>
>     eorgan945.sspam at uol.com.br
>
> This is completely irresponsible behaviour, and bad netiquette.
>
> The way I see it, there are 3 choices:
>
> 1) This person immediately disables this antispam confirmation
>    bot and apologizes to the mailing list(s), promising to never
>    do this again.
>
> or
>
> 2) The list administrators kindly remove the person's address
>    from the subscription list, transfering it to the permanent
>    ban list.  If necessary, blocking the entire domain if the
>    problem returns (uol.com.br).
>
> or
>
> 3) I for one, will unsubscribe from all of the fedora lists,
>    simply to avoid this nonesense.  I get 300 spam per day,
>    and certainly don't need someone adding to it foolishly
>    on subscription-only mailing lists.
>

> If #2 becomes necessary, and the individual can not be identified,
> I suggest blocking uol.com.br at the IP filter level on Red Hat
> border routers.

Since posting, I've been informed of the problem at a deeper level,
and of the FAQ on the Fedora Wiki, and the problems involved in
trying to do option #2.  In the mean time, a 4th option presented
itself:

4) Having uol.com.br blacklisted via the MTA by the admin of my
    domain.

It'd be cool if that could be done on the redhat.com domain also.

mgalgoci?

--
Mike A. Harris  *  Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
                       Proud Canadian.