OLPC 'upstream'

Andy Green andy at warmcat.com
Wed Feb 8 17:24:56 UTC 2006

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 03:47:52PM +0000, Andy Green wrote:
>
>>requirements of mesh networking in combination with the abilities of the
>>madwifi device driver have driven this selection; it is the best and
>>most flexible wireless device driver today. There are not other viable
>>alternatives at this time.
>

> Madwifi is not free software.

http://madwifi.org/wiki/ngFeatures

License and HAL

    * The license for the driver has not changed. It is still dual BSD /
GPL v2 licensed.
    * The HAL is still binary only and will still taint the kernel.

http://madwifi.org/browser/trunk/hal
http://madwifi.org/browser/trunk/hal/public

Hm

http://pedia.media.mit.edu/wiki/OLPC_on_open_source_software

 • Must include source code and allow modification so that our
developers, the
   governments that are our customers and the children who use the
laptop can
   look under the hood change the software to fit an inconceivable and
   inconceivably diverse set of needs. Our software must also provide a
   self-hosting development platform.

 • Must allow distribution of modified copies of software under the same
   license so that the freedoms that our developers depend upon for success
   remain available to the users and developers who define the next
generation
   of the software. Our users and customers must be able to localize
   software into their language, fix the software to remove bugs, and
   repurpose the software to fit their needs.

-Andy