Fedora in need of testers?

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Feb 8 20:36:19 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 12:56pm, Barry K. Nathan wrote:
> On 2/8/06, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > How can I help with a lowly 500 MHz machine I have acquired? It wasn't
> > what I was expecting originally, but that's because my original plans
> > fell through.
>
> As long as it has enough RAM (check the release notes) and some free
> disk space, and as long as you have a little patience, it should be
> fine for testing.
>
> I'm coming back to Fedora Core testing after a long break (for various
> reasons)... with a 350MHz machine. ^_^

I think having some slow machines in the mix is good.  We don't want to be
building a distribution that suddenly only runs "tolerably" on "the last 20%
of the speed curve" hardware.

Then again, those with "only" slow machines need to be cautious of becoming
"numb" about performance.  After a while, you get used to the speed of your
machine (screaming fast, painfully slow or anywhere in between) and it can
become very easy to overlook the changes in performance.  I think the best
defense against that is awareness + hard numbers (benchmark).

"time" is your friend :) .  It turns fuzzy time into something that we can all
talk about.

So, to those with "slow" boxes; happy testing.

P.S.  I don't speak for the Fedora Project :) .
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor