Fedora in need of testers?

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Wed Feb 8 22:31:45 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 February 2006 02:59pm, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On 2/8/06, Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com> wrote:
[snip]
> > I think having some slow machines in the mix is good.  We don't want to
> > be building a distribution that suddenly only runs "tolerably" on "the
> > last 20%
> > of the speed curve" hardware.
> >
> > Then again, those with "only" slow machines need to be cautious of
> > becoming
> > "numb" about performance.  After a while, you get used to the speed of
> > your
> > machine (screaming fast, painfully slow or anywhere in between) and it
> > can become very easy to overlook the changes in performance.  I think the
> > best defense against that is awareness + hard numbers (benchmark).
> >
> > "time" is your friend :) .  It turns fuzzy time into something that we
> > can all
> > talk about.
> >
> > So, to those with "slow" boxes; happy testing.
>
> Ok cool. I'll install FC4 on it this weekend. Any  recommendations for DE,
> esp. as XFCE is no longer on the install media. My regular DE is KDE.

I would either grab fluxbox (or friend of your choice) from extras or just go
with KDE.  It's not that heavy and testing to make sure it doesn't get "that"
heavy (if you want to) can also be quite helpful.

Either way, I would start with a minimal install and build up from there,
testing those things you want to test.  "yum install" is your friend.
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor