Testing Xen. Some quick questions.

Paul Wouters paul at cypherpunks.ca
Thu Feb 9 00:06:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Adam Huda wrote:

> I still haven't got a guest installed using the xenguest-install.py
> process. When the actual installation starts, it installs a few packages
> and then dies.

I am not entirely sure why people want to fake a netboot and go through
anaconda. What is wrong with using yum with --installroot?

dd if=/dev/zero of=fc4-i386.img bs=1M count=1 seek=4096
/sbin/mke2fs -F -j fc4-i386.img
mount -o loop fc4-i386.img /mnt
mkdir /mnt/dev
mkdir /mnt/proc
mkdir /mnt/etc
for i in console null zero ; do /sbin/MAKEDEV -d /mnt/dev -x $i ; done
cp projects/documentation/xen/fstab-xen /mnt/etc/fstab
mount -t proc none /mnt/proc
yum -c yum-xen.conf --installroot=/mnt -y groupinstall Base
find /mnt/var/cache/yum -name \*.rpm | xargs rm
mv /mnt/lib/tls /mnt/lib/tls-disabled
sync
(on fc3 I had to kill minilogd that got started as part of the install)
umount /mnt/proc
umount /mnt

where fstab-xen is:

/dev/hda1               /                       ext3    defaults 1 1
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults 0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults 0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults 0 0

and yum-xen.conf:

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
exclude=*-debuginfo
gpgcheck=0
obsoletes=1
reposdir=/dev/null

[base]
name=Fedora Core 4 - i386 - Base
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/fedora-core-4
enabled=1

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core 4 - i386 - Released Updates
mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc4
enabled=1

That's how I've created my FC3 and FC4 images. I haven't had time to point
one at FC5 yet, but I would assume that works as well?

Paul