OLPC 'upstream'

Pete Zaitcev zaitcev at redhat.com
Thu Feb 9 00:47:55 UTC 2006

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 21:16:46 +0000, Andy Green <andy at warmcat.com> wrote:

> > would be fine. But /bin/bash must be there and lame substitutions create
> > problems which are not worth the saved space.
>
> That is hard to be certain about without estimating some idea of the
> saved space, both in flash and in RAM.  Ash is cut-down alright but the
> most-used features like if [ ] , while, for and the usual compare
> actions are in there and so on.  Most intricate script activity is done
> by calling echo/cat/cut/grep/etc inside `` it seems

Very well, if you say so, ash may be all right. But busybox seems to
take this too far. You know what the root of all evil is... So why don't
we let OLPC group to actually build a system and take measurements?
It seems too early to decide on busybox. For crying out loud, it's
a system with GNOME. I'm sure 10 core systems can disappear in the
noise of that set of packages. :-)

-- Pete