Questioning Pirut

Tim Lauridsen tla-ml at rasmil.dk
Sat Feb 18 06:15:57 UTC 2006

Kevin Verma wrote:
> Dear Pirut Developers,
>
> I've been trying to use Pirut over the FC5 rawhide, referring a screen
> shot here from the wiki,
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tours/FedoraCore5/007_Pirut
>
> I will like to know your point of view why we really needed yet
> another package manager, I understand that this one is created more to
> adapt to Yum system. I will like to know your view if
> system-config-packages could have been adapted to Yum as well ?
>
> And what are the projections with this tool ahead, I will also like to
> point out that this tool is not working much as good enough on lower
> resolution of 800x600 I have read it somewhere that the developer
> accepting this tool does not look much eye candy yet, but can we
> please have a peer view of the mock they have in mind this tool will
> look like.
>
> Please respond, flames are welcome but I just wanted to be more clear.
> If some one can also tell me how up2date will be tested with Fedora
> ahead or Red Hat is keeping that out of Fedora and still plan to use
> it ahead for RHN.
>
> Cheers,

I have suggested to the developers to join forces and get Yum Extender
a.k.a yumex in shape to get into Core.
I takes time to make a good package manager gui and there are no need to
start from scratch.
pup and system-install-packages are in good shape, but pirut need a lot
of work.
The current development release of yumex 0.99.9, currently in
extras-development, is in good shape and works in both
FC4 and rawhide. (and in RHEL 4 (with yum 2.4.x & CentOS 4.2)

Tim Lauridsen
Yumex Developer.