Questioning Pirut

Jim Cornette fcd-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Feb 19 14:36:26 UTC 2006

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>
>> If my remark sounded like a flame, I apologize, cause it wasn't meant
>> like that, I just wanted to say that everybody clearly could see Pirut
>> simply isn't ready yet.
>>
>> - Erwin
>>

> Then you might cleanly exclude me from that "everybody" list. A utility
> that knows and understands software repositories is much better for me
> even with a few IMO minor UI nits. There is no reason for Pirut to
> follow GNOME HIG. It is a set of guidelines for GNOME applications. Not
> a set of black and while rules.

Pirut does look like it is a RHL 7.3 era program by looks. I see nothing
wrong with the program appearance on initial usage of the program. I did
not even consider anything wrong with the program appearance.

The program has not failed me when I used it and the program had decent
features. (The list, programs groups and the like.) I do not feel the
inclusion within FC5 is an embarrassment and doubt others would feel the
program is insufficient either.

With my past experience with using programs with a lot of eye candy,
actual features were overlooked on my part. My concentration was more
into the visual appeal of the program. I am sure that I am not the only
person distracted from decor vs. functionality.

The program later on could incorporate the eye candy. There might be
room for themes and other such add-ons later. It seems there is a desire
for the themed approach in some circles.

Main course before desert.

Jim
--
Cahn's Axiom:
	When all else fails, read the instructions.