The future of Linux - architecture and package inter-dependencies

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Feb 20 11:52:56 UTC 2006

Erwin Rol wrote:

>On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 12:33 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 11:13 +0000, Kaimano wrote:
>>

>>>The core e-Mail application is evolution 2.0. A bug is found on evolution
>>>which requires upgrading to the latest 2.4.
>>>

>>Why? You have a support contract with the vendor and you make them fix
>>the bug in version 2.0.
>>

>but, but, than you have pay money, and we just switched to Linux because
>everything is gratis ;-)

Could be gratis if the source is available under a appropriate license
and you have the resources and time to do it yourself. On many occasions
your expertise is not operating system development or more specifically
not backporting Evolution bug fixes and it works out cheaper to pay a
vendor.

--
Rahul