The future of Linux - architecture and package inter-dependencies

Rudolf Kastl che666 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 13:23:09 UTC 2006

2006/2/20, Benjy Grogan <benjy.grogan at gmail.com>:

> > >The concerns are about spending more time for planning and design in
> order
> > >to move towards a really open platform, otherwise the risk is to end up
> > >with an open source so complicated to maintain that it would not make any
> > >difference if it was proprietary and secret.
> > >

> > How are you willing to help?
>
> I think this is the most interesting thing about open source.  How do people
> get involved in open source projects?  It would be great to hear some of the
> stories.  I'm sure there are many more people out there who would like to
> help and have the technical wherewithal to help but simply can't find a way
> to get started.
>
> I'd like to hear about people who in the last two or three years got
> involved in a certain project.  I realize there are those who have been
> around for ten or more years and actually started some of the projects.  But
> how are newcomers helping out in software development?

This is a fedora unspecific list of things you can do to get there:

1. getting involved as developer:
grab cvs of <insert_application_or_library_here>.

fix up compile errors/compiler warnings...

diff -u oldfile newfile > patchfile

and then email the patch to the upstream author ;))

-> you are involved ;)

2. getting involved as non programmer:

2.1 translating applications -> look for localisation projects etc or
just grab an app and translate it. tools are available.
2.2 documentation -> write good documentation covering certain topics
of interest
2.3 artwork -> make nice artwork (themes, 3d models, textures etc) for
already existing projects (app themes, games, etc) and submit it
upstream or publish it yourself while licensing it under a free
license ;)
2.4 sound -> create desktop sounds, startup sounds, notifications
sounds, oss game sfx/music) and send it upstream or publish it
yourself under a free license.
2.5 submit good feedback to upstream developers (note: sounds easier than it is)

regards,
rudolf kastl

----> to get involved all you have to do is actually _do_ something.