FC5 test3 -- dmraid broken?

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Wed Feb 22 14:18:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 22:55 -0700, Dax Kelson wrote:

> I added echos such as "about to dm create" and then some "sleep 5" after
> each of those commands.
>
> There is zero output from mkdmnod on down until the "lvm vgscan" runs.

Well, that means nothing thinks it's not working.  Not an encouraging
sign :/

> It produces this output:
>
> device-mapper: 4.5.0-ioctl (2005-10-04) initialised: dm-devel at redhat.com
>   Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
>   No volume groups found
>   Unable to find volume group "VolGroup00"
>
> Booting into the rescue environment the dm raid is brought up and LVM
> activated automatically and correctly.

Hrm.  If you run "dmsetup table" from this environment, does the output
match the "dm create" line in the initrd?

It's almost as if lvm isn't checking the dm volumes, but that shouldn't
be the case with even remotely recent lvm2.

> Incidentally in the rescue environment I chrooted into my rootfilesytem
> and brought up my network interface (/etc/init.d/network start), and ran
> yum -y update.
>
> There were about 40 packages downloaded, but every rpm install attempt
> puked out out with errors from the preinstall scripts. Unsurprisingly
> running rpm -Uvh /path/to/yum/cache/kernel*rpm resulted in the same
> error. :(

This could be related, but my gut reaction says it's not caused by your
raid problems.  Obviously it's still bad.

--
  Peter