Hotplug: no more fstab entries

Lamont R. Peterson lamont at gurulabs.com
Thu Feb 23 17:43:15 UTC 2006

On Thursday 23 February 2006 06:19am, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 07:47:34 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Don't be silly. You can still use /etc/fstab and/or mount(1). Even
> > with the new /disk/disk/by-label etc. symlinks you can construct a
> > persistent entry in /etc/fstab.
>
> Nonetheless, what was wrong with the old behaviour (dropping a directory
> in /media for each plugged in device)? I do not even particulary care about
> the entries in /etc/fstab, as long as "mount /media/usbdisk" does what it
> is supposed to do.
>
> Can I restore the old behaviour somehow?

Sure.  Write the udev rule for it, or grab it from an FC4 system (or from the
FC4 udev package).

Or, if you have some devices that you use frequently, write some custom udev
rules.  For example, I have this rule for my one main USB Keychain drive (I
really need to get a newer, bigger one):

# 64MB HP DriveKey
BUS="usb", KERNEL="sd*", SYSFS{product}="Drive Key",
SYSFS{serial}="0212330F15006816", NAME="key%n"

And these two are for a digital video camera I have that records on 3 inch DVD
R/RW/RAM discs (video and still photos) or on an SD card (still photos only):

BUS="usb", KERNEL="sr*", SYSFS{product}="DVD DIGICAM VDR-M50 Series",
NAME="vcamera"
BUS="usb", KERNEL="sd?1", SYSFS{product}="DVD DIGICAM VDR-M50 Series",
NAME="camera"

All of those rules (and a couple of others) are in
the /etc/udev/rules.d/10-corsair.rules file (corsair is this notebook's
name).

For a starter on writing UDEV rules, take a look at Daniel Drake's guide at
[ http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php ].
--
Lamont R. Peterson <lamont at gurulabs.com>
Senior Instructor