Keeping SELinux on (was Attention: Proprietary video driver users (ATI, Nvidia, etc.))

Karsten Wade kwade at
Fri Feb 24 14:08:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 15:36 -0500, John Poelstra wrote:
> Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> > Is there a decent book available on understanding and managing
> > selinux (covering what is available in RHEL4)? I am quite fond
> > of dead tree versions for learning about a topic, and printing
> > out PDFs is unsatisfying.

Yes, that is the de facto standard for RHEL 4 SELinux information.  If
you are just looking to get stuff done, look in the second part of the

Best yet, flip to the Index and look under "how to".  For learning about
SELinux, the "what is/what are" Index entries are numerous and useful.

For developers (hey, now I'm on-topic!), the first part that explains
about SELinux and how it works is ... well, it is what it is.  I did the
best I could to make sense out of it for you all. ;-)

I encourage you to give the PDF a try.  I pored over it, page by page,
to make sure that it prints out without content loss or nasty, ugly
formatting.  If you don't want to print it yourself, Cafepress or Kinkos
is quite capable.

The only one there remotely useful is the upcoming SELinux by Example
[1], authored by people who know what they are talking about.  Aug. 2006
is the publication date on Amazon.  The ORA book was based on FC 2 and a
waaaaaay older framework in the kernel.

- Karsten

Karsten Wade, RHCE * Sr. Tech Writer *
Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project