gphoto2 problem: usb access for non root users

Jesse Barnes jbarnes at virtuousgeek.org
Sat Feb 25 03:19:34 UTC 2006

On Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:02 pm, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:04:59 +0100 Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> >> Asap I'll reboot ala windows and see if anything changes... ;-(
>
> Actually I did:
> - init 3
> - yum update of other latest packages
> - init 5
> - re-login in gnome as gcecchi
> - plug digicamera
> - all ok now!

Hm, I haven't been so lucky.  When I plugin my camera, I get a popup
under KDE asking me if I want to open a window.  If I select 'yes' the
window comes up but times out saying it couldn't claim the usb device,
presumably because both /proc/bus/usb and /dev/bus/usb are owned
completely by root.  My /usr/libexec/gphoto-udev-thunk-set-my-perms
script has the right lines to set the perms, but maybe HAL isn't
setting the right env. vars for it when it's called?

Jesse