ATrpms and FC5/RHEL5

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Jan 1 23:05:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2005-12-31 at 17:37 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, John Ellson <ellson at research.att.com> said:
> > However, I doubt that overlaps can be completely eliminated, or that
> > it is even desirable to completely eliminate them, so I think it is
> > more important to have a clear mechanism to allow the user to control
> > the default choice, and to be able to override it if desired.
>
> The best thing would be for the third-party repos to be split into
> overlapping and non-overlapping.

The problem is there are a fair number of packages that are not
overlapping but depend upon overlapping. So it really is difficult if
you have a sizeable repository like Axel does.

AFAIK he's also supporting a large number of Fedora releases, and he's
not charging anybody any money for it either. I think there could be a
better solution that would allow him to spend more time on packages and
less on repo monkey work.