Patterned slow-down over the entire GNOME desktop

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 2 14:29:26 UTC 2006

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>> Also, I still run kernel 1688, because I don't want to deal with the
>> hassle of making the livna nvidia driver work with modular X for every
>> new kernel. Which kernel started including this tracking patch
>>

> oh you're using the binary nvidia driver; would maybe have been useful
> to give info like that in the initial report ;) (eg what hardware is
> involved, what kernel stuff what X stuff etc etc)

That was a mailing list question, I'll file a bug report if someone
suggests the correct component.
I don't see the point of writing lots of information until requested -
it may or may not be relevant.

Kernel is 1688, with the binary nvidia driver. Software is fedora
rawhide + rawhide extras + livna + selinux repository, All non-obsolete
or broken packages installed as of 2-3 days ago. The hardware is an
Athlon 1600+, nvidia 5700 (256MB), 512MB SDRAM. This is a rather old
computer, but that doesn't explain the behavior I am seeing.