ATrpms and FC5/RHEL5

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Tue Jan 3 20:40:16 UTC 2006

Jarod Wilson wrote:

>On Monday 02 January 2006 21:33, Jeff Pitman wrote:

>>>I'm not talking so much about problems introduced by 3rd-parties as I am
>>>about problems/deficiencies uncovered by 3rd-parties, i.e., fixing
>>>packages in Core in a timely fashion to eliminate the need of 3rd-party
>>>packagers to replace Core components.
>>>

>>Also, it's good to have allies on the inside.
>>

>Very true. Most 3rd-party repos don't, apparently.
>

>>See jpackage FAQ about
>>"I tried to install foo on Fedora Core 2, but got lots of error
>>messages and/or things don't work": http://www.jpackage.org/faq.php
>>
>>Note the line:
>>
>>"""This issue should be fixed in Fedora Core 3, thanks to Red Hat's
>>involvement in JPackage."""
>>

>So the anti-3rd-party repository stance isn't unilaterally applied against all
>3rd-party repos, I take it?

There is no anti 3 party repository stance in the sense that there is
nothing in the formal Fedora repositories working actively against them.
If there are bugs in any of the packages within core they should fixed
regardless of the 3rd party repositories which may have helped uncovered
the problem. In other words they are just routine bugs addressed in
bugzilla. No big board of (anti) cooperation  required.

regards
Rahul