Patterned slow-down over the entire GNOME desktop

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Wed Jan 4 11:18:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 03:41:38PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> Thats pretty vague. Benchmarks, reproducible regressions, specific bug
> reports etc is the way to move forward with this.

Yes, I know. Working on that. One thing I have established is that Clearlooks
is significantly slower than bluecurce (although I can not say whether
FC4-CL is faster/slower than RC-CL right now).

My other gripe is Xv performance, I am writing a benchmark to get to the
bottom of that one.

For fun, here are some gtkperf numbers for current RH, RH default theme
(mainly CL, I think) vs. bluecurve. Machine is a PII400, Number Nine T2R
(yay!). 100 gtkperf iterations. The Pixbufs numbers are bogus, ignore.

Default:
GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Wed Jan  4 12:04:32 2006

GtkEntry - time:  0.23
GtkComboBox - time: 15.41
GtkComboBoxEntry - time: 12.34
GtkSpinButton - time:  2.19
GtkProgressBar - time:  4.74
GtkToggleButton - time:  6.19
GtkCheckButton - time:  5.98
GtkRadioButton - time:  7.51
GtkTextView - Add text - time:  7.04
GtkTextView - Scroll - time:  6.06
GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time:  4.20
GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time:  5.44
GtkDrawingArea - Text - time: 15.86
GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time:  5.89
 ---
 Total time: 99.11

Bluecurve:
GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Wed Jan  4 12:08:57 2006

GtkEntry - time:  0.13
GtkComboBox - time:  6.49
GtkComboBoxEntry - time:  4.74
GtkSpinButton - time:  0.59