Fedora Default Services

Keith Sharp kms at passback.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 21:35:28 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 13:16 -0500, Joseph Harnish wrote:
> I was reading http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DefaultServices to see what
> was has been talked about on it about disabling different services and I
> have a couple of possible additions.
>
> This is probably just a Hint for laptop users.  On my laptop I use
> NetworkManager to handle the network connections.  So I deactivated my
> eth0 and my wlan0 from starting when the computer boots.  I had both so
> if I was docked it would get an IP or if I were wireless it would also
> work.  But this slowed down my boot up a bunch.
>
> >From reading through Keith's comments it seems there is a handful of
> services that would come in handy for a Laptop user, some for a Desktop
> user and others for a Server.  I think it would be a good idea to create
> some default service profiles.  Either just document them on the wiki or
> actually have some default profiles in the Service Configuration tool so
> a newer user can just apply a profile to their system without having to
> know what nifd is or what rpcgssd is.

I haven't tried a recent Rawhide (post anaconda yumification) install,
is the plan to still include the different types: server, workstation,
laptop, custom?  If yes, then this could be used to switch between which
services are to be activated.  The other place, potentially, to do this
is in firstboot.

It is probably worth opening an RFE bugzilla against either anaconda or
firstboot.

Keith.