CD Eject

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Thu Jan 5 19:18:37 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 14:04 +0000, Joe Desbonnet wrote:

> I know it's not the unix way, but is there any reason why this can't
> be done?

There is no Unix way only the way which is best for the user.

> .. given that USB stick drives can be yanked out without the
> machine exploding, why not CD/DVDs?

First, never yank a mounted USB device.  You can't do this on any OS
without possibly causing serious data loss. Because flash drives are
really slow and constantly writing to them can wear them out faster,
data is queued up and synced to device at regular intervals.  Yanking it
before a write can finish will damage the drive.

As for drives opening I would guess we could listen for the button press
and do an unmount/eject.  The question is do we get eject button signals
from the kernel.