glibc-2.3.90-26 and older kernels

David Hollis dhollis at davehollis.com
Sat Jan 7 03:45:23 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 12:13 -0800, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> How you can possibly arrive at the conclusion that Red Hat is "slave to
> the almighty dollar" I cannot fathom.  This is an optimization which
> reduces the penalties people using the Fedora as it is have to pay.  In
> addition it reduces the burden to support bugs in code on old systems,
> thereby improving the quality for the modern code.

In case you missed it, I was being quite sarcastic.  I have no problem
at all with removing that kind of old cruft.  glibc aside, I don't think
you can easily run a 2.4 based kernel on a FC4/5 system anyway.  I can
just imagine all of the flame wars that people will want to start due to
this rather innocuous change.  Seems to happen all the time.