edit root alias when installing the OS

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Jan 8 07:48:54 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 18:02 +1030, n0dalus wrote:

> Perhaps a better option, while it might require a lot of development,
> is to let users do more things without touching the actual system (or
> it could be handled by a daemon). Things like Printing, network device
> configuration, sound cards, system language settings etc might all be
> changeable on a per-user basis (with some restrictions) without you
> having to run anything with higher-privileges. For example, using
> system-config-language would change the Language for the current user
> only -- other users are not affected by the change.

I believe that is the current way language is done.
I know you can select it at the gdm window, and I don't recall needing
to use the root password to change keyboard layout last time I had need
to.

Sound card is a little harder because it requires loading a kernel
module, printing could be done probably through cups w/o needing root -
though privilege to alter the cups profile to add a printer would be
needed (at least in some cases, kudzu does a pretty good job at picking
up directly attached printers)