Where's the NetworkManger applet in rawhide?

D Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Tue Jan 10 16:20:13 UTC 2006

Dan Williams wrote:

>On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 22:18 -0500, D Canfield wrote:
>

>>Just out of curiosity... is there any particular reason this continues
>>to be something that has to be manually added?  Couldn't it be added to
>>Add to Panel menu?
>>

>Because it's not a panel applet; it's a Notification Area applet.  If
>you have session-saving enabled, and you run /usr/bin/nm-applet, the
>applet will stick around.  If you don't have session saving enabled, you
>can add it to your "Startup Programs" tab in gnome-session-properties
>(System->Preferences->More Preferences->Sessions) and it will show up.

I understand the technical difference... but what's the difference for
the end-user?  Why does nm-applet have to be started differently than
gnome-netstatus-applet and how does a user know the difference... they
both appear on the panel and they both provide similar functionality.
NetworkManager provides very important functionality for users, and it
needs to be more obvious how to use it.  Just looking at the mailing
lists for the various distributions I've tried lately, "how do I start
the NetworkManager applet" has been asked probably 5-10 times on each
list.  And this is from people who already know that the applet exists.

If we can't figure out a good way to add/remove it from the panel,
should we consider adding it to the session by default?

A similar "conflict" seems to exist with the two battery monitors.
Though in that case, battstat-applet seems to totally overlap with
gnome-power-manager.  Any reason not to remove the former?