boot hang with 2.6.15

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Jan 11 02:21:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 02:18:26PM +0100, Erwin Rol wrote:
 > On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 04:29 -0500, Build System wrote:
 >
 > > kernel-2.6.15-1.1826.2.9_FC5
 > > ----------------------------
 > > * Mon Jan 09 2006 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
 > > - Remove vm debug patch that triggers too easily right now.
 > >   (Needs fixing properly post test2).
 > > - kill blk_attempt_merge() which was horribly broken.
 > > - dm: avoid ovvrun while syncing.
 > >
 > > * Mon Jan 09 2006 David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at redhat.com>
 > > - Fix some usblp problems, add ieee1284_id to sysfs
 > > - update bcm43xx driver to version tested in -HEAD
 >

 > After my vacation i updated my rawhide machine and it doesn't want to
 > boot the new kernel. The boot hangs after the line;
 >
 > io scheduler cfg registered
 >
 > Only a hard reset helps at that point.
 >
 > The last working kernel I have is 2.6.14-1.1773_FC5.

Gah, was this in bugzilla ? That was a few weeks back, so there's
quite a bit to go through there.

For test2, it's probably a bit late now, so your best bet is
going to be to try and find a workaround (maybe playing with
elevator= options).  If it's not in bugzilla yet, please file one,
and boot with 'initcall_debug' and see what the last line it prints
is, and drop that into the bugreport.

 		Dave