Slow refresh: nautilus

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Wed Jan 11 07:33:06 UTC 2006

Hi, you might remember I wrote about patterned slowdown over the GNOME
desktop last week. Since then my superblock was corrupted, the entire
root partition was lost, and I had to reinstall (twice). On the bright
side, the new Fedora system is much faster than before, and does not
suffer from the slowdown issue. I am using the latest kernel now, with
the oss nv driver.

But... I do see a strange issue, that I don't think is normal. When
switching from a maximized app to an empty workspace, redraw of the
background is particularly slow - it takes about 1 sec on Athlon 1600+.
During that time the icons disappear. This might not seem slow, but it
gets really annoying. The CPU spikes to 100% every time. I see the same
thing when opening new folders in nautilus. I don't use nautilus for
file management, but I imagine this would be really annoying for those
that do. (as an aside, I am trying to test this w/ fullscreen folders,
but the spatial feature that remembers where each folder was opened and
how large it is doesn't seem to work currently)

Is anyone else seeing the same issue.....
I was not seeing this before, but I was using the accelerated nvidia driver.