Extra CDs packages installation gone in firstboot?

Chris Lumens clumens at redhat.com
Wed Jan 11 15:03:09 UTC 2006

> I just installed the development tree for the first time in a while
> yesterday, and was a bit surprised and disappointed to see that the
> firstboot step to install packages from "Extra" CDs was gone (which AFAIK
> has only ever been used in RHEL).
>
> Is it just temporary because of the changes to all the package related
> tools to use yum as a backend, or is this final? In FC4 it apparently
> didn't work anyway, so as long as system-cdinstall-helper is still there
> for installing the same stuff after firstboot, from nautilus using the
> "autorun" script, it's no big deal anyway.

It's been removed, at least for now, because of all the packaging stuff.
The additional CDs module in firstboot actually used
system-config-packages for all the hard work, but that program no longer
exists.  We'll have to either do some work on pirut or firstboot to get
that supported again.

The relevant comment in the firstboot spec file is:

   * Wed Nov 16 2005 Chris Lumens <clumens at redhat.com> 1.3.53-1
   - Disable Additional CDs module for now

- Chris