rawhide report: 20060112 changes

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Jan 12 15:47:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 10:39 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 13:33 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 03:00 -0500, Build System wrote:
> > > * Wed Jan 11 2006 Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> - 10.91.3-1
> > > - remove some unneeded bits from the ppc boot.iso to make it smaller
> >
> > Pleased to note that you kept /images/netboot/ppc32.img in it -- we
> > actually need that for booting on Pegasos.
>
> I did actually look to see what the mkisofs invocations used :-P

On Pegasos we have to invoke it directly by pathname because the
firmware doesn't handle auto-booting of CDs. It's just a coincidence
that we happen to use that same image with -prep-boot, and I'm fairly
convinced that won't work on PReP anyway.

> It doesn't end up helping much.  The vast majority of the initrd is the
> per-kernel modules.  By going with a single initrd, we increase the
> memory overhead significantly which I'd rather avoid

Ah, ok. Then it wouldn't make much sense, I agree.

--
dwmw2